My first proper character model was created for another project at SAE where we had to create a base mesh using images given to me by the lecturers, and use that base mesh to create another character, of our own using images, concepts and other related images on the internet. For my own character I decided on an old concept image i saw in which someone made “realistic” versions of classic Disney characters. One of them was Tigger, and so I made a similar version of that in 3D.
For this project I used 3Ds Max to model the base mesh and then my own character based off of the artists version, but to get the desired effect of the fur, I researched how to use the VRay plugin, got it and used it.
Hover over images for more info!
This project had us all create a base mesh to have something to start off with.
And then we all had to find something that we liked and create a different character with similar body type.
My model is mostly done here, with no unwrap or texture but materials applied all willy nilly!
The unwraps were split into two different maps because i wanted the face to have more or a detailed look.
Ultimately it didn’t really matter much because of the fur that was applied after.
The textures that I made were just flat colours because the real magic came with the fur and its different properties.
VRay can be used to make the fur modifier in which i did, but the fur can be edited to be used with different texture maps, black and white images to move and change the fur. This map was used to control the length of the fur on the body
This is a final rendered version of my character based on the “first” mesh (Shown above) with multiple texture maps applied to give the fur some Zsaaazz
The final product was a few animations that had my character do 3 different linked movements, and a few other things that were related to character movements.